To delete the shortcut, first click “Cancel” to close the Properties window, and then right-click the icon and select “Delete.” Click “Yes” to confirm the deletion.
Open File Explorer if the icon represents an actual folder and you want to remove the icon from the desktop without deleting it.
How do I remove an icon from my desktop without deleting it?
Microsoft Windows Vista and 7 users
- Right-click on a blank part of the Windows desktop.
- Select Personalize in the pop-up menu.
- In the Personalize appearance and sounds window, click the Change desktop icons link on the left side.
- Uncheck the box next to the icon(s) you want to remove and click OK.
How do I remove icons from my desktop?
Suggested clip · 27 seconds
How To Show or Hide Desktop System Icons in Windows 10 Tutorial
Start of suggested clip
End of suggested clip
How do I remove shortcuts from my desktop in Windows 10?
- Left click the desktop shortcut to select it.
- Right click the desktop shortcut. A menu appears.
- Left click the Delete item on the menu that appeared.
- Windows will ask you to confirm deleting the shortcut.
How do I clean my desktop icons in Windows 10?
The first way to quickly hide everything is a built-in feature of Windows 10. Just right-click an empty area of the desktop and select View and then uncheck Show desktop icons from the context menu.